Israel Aye has extensive commercial and legal knowledge of the oil and gas business in Nigeria. He is Partner at and Co-chair of the Sterling Partnership Energy Desk, Director of the Sterling ADR Centre and Faculty Member of Sterling Executive (MCLE) Training Institute. In addition to his roles at Sterling Partnership, Israel is also a Director with the Aspen Energy Nigeria (Energy Services and Consulting) Group and faculty member of the International Law Institute-African Centre of Excellence (ILI-ACE).
Key transactions Israel has led include:
- Advised and provided full spectrum of legal support (including negotiation and review of the GSA, PPA and other transaction documents) to a Foreign JV for investment in and construction of a power plant within a Free Trade Zone in Nigeria.
- Advised NDPHCN on initial stages of negotiations and review of GSAA and other definitive agreements in respect of the establishment of an IPP.
- Lead Negotiator (specifically Energy Partner) between SEPLAT and PHCN Geregu, and SEPLAT and PHCN Sapele in respect of two IPPs.
- Advised a leading natural gas company on securing NERC license to construct captive power generation facilities at their site.
- Advised an indigenous power company in its bid for acquisition of an Electricity Generating Company then being privatized by the NDPCH/BPE on the licensing and technical requirements for establishing an independent power generation plant in Nigeria. Other broad spectrum legal support
- Team Lead & Coordinator of Shell’s legal input to the Nigerian Gas Master Plan (NGMP);
- Team Lead and Coordinator of legal support to the Shell Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) Work Group & Shell Legal rep to the OPTS PIB Work Group
- Lead Partner in Sterling Partnership’s role as Nigerian Counsel to the borrowers, successfully closing a $1.5 Billion pre-export finance deal, proposing complex legal strategy that made the deal possible
- Lead Partner- Transaction support to a leading international oil company on the viability of its Nigerian entity and assets, leading to a successful completion of a $250,500,000 initial public offering of common shares and listing on the TSX
- “Sustainable Development in Nigeria: Leveraging the Petroleum Industry” - Expert Guides – Energy (2016)
- Israel Aye, Laura Alakija, Chigozie Anyanwu and Constance Udensi, “Nigeria Chapter, The Oil and Gas Law Review ”, Second Edition, 2014
- Israel Aye, Laura Alakija, Chigozie Anyanwu and Constance Udensi, “Nigeria Chapter, The Oil and Gas Law Review ”, Third Editions, 2015
- “Oil and Gas Environmental Dispute Resolution in Nigeria: a Case for Special Courts”- International Bar Conference, Boston, Illinois, USA - 2013
- “Taming the Country's Natural Resources” International Financial Law Review, July/August 2013 at pp. 50 – 53
- “Regional Harmonisation of Corporate Laws across the Commonwealth”; 18th Commonwealth Law Conference, Cape Town, South Africa – 2013
- “Pre-requisites for Promoting the Culture of Excellence in the Nigerian Petroleum Industry”; Nigerian Gas Association Conference, Abuja 2011
- “Scope of Legislative Powers of Enquiry and Investigation over Private Entities in Nigeria”; Strategy Presentation, 2006 tal Dispute Resolution in Nigeria: a Case for Special Courts”- International Bar Conference, Boston, Illinois, USA - 2013
Awards and Recognitions
- Who is Who Legal – Leading expert in energy and natural resources, 2012 till date
- IFLR1000- Leading Lawyer, Financial and Corporate 2016
- IFLR1000- Leading Lawyer, Energy and Infrastructure 2015
- Chambers and Partners Legal Award – Leading Lawyer, Oil and Gas 2015
- Corporate LiveWire’s 2016 Innovation & Excellence Awards - Excellence in Energy & Natural Resources Law (Nigeria)
- Energy Expert Guides 2016 - Leading Lawyer, Energy
- Solicitor - Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria
- Member - International Bar Association
- Member - Nigeria Bar Association
- Member - Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- Accredited – Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, UK (CEDR)