Laura is a brilliant and dynamic commercial lawyer with a flair for deal structuring in complex commercial transactions. She is adept at assessing the true value of a transaction, and coming up with creative ways to add value. Her work in this area also covers negotiation and transaction documentation.
Laura is also Lead Counsel for the firm’s corporate law group providing regulatory compliance advice and company secretariat support to our clients. She has advised a number of our local and international clients on business start-ups, licensing, permits and regulatory compliance requirements including support to foreign investors from China, Kuwait, Italy, USA, Kenya, Canada, Switzerland and India on business entry into Nigeria's Trucking, Aviation, Logistics, Freight Forwarding and Clearance, Oil and Gas, Power and Alternative Energy sectors.
- Lead Counsel – transaction documentation and legal advice on applicable Nigerian laws to a Foreign Invested Joint Venture in the Nigerian automotive industry
- Lead Counsel – Content advice to a multi-national software development company seeking to provide services to operators within the Nigerian oil and gas industry including other advice on the data privacy, security and protection under Nigerian law relating to VOIP and delivery of cloud services in Nigeria
- Lead Counsel - regulatory compliance and company secretarial services to a public infrastructure company with a primary objective to carry out an $18 billion Smart City Development Project
- Advisory role – legal advice, transaction support and documentation to a regional power company in respect of a proposed gas to power project
- Advisory role - transaction support and documentation to an indigenous oil company and an Angolan counter party in a competitive bid process for oil assets
- Advisory role – due diligence and transaction support to an indigenous oil company in its bid to purchase an oil asset from one of the international oil companies operating in Nigeria
- Advisory role – Negotiation, documentation and transaction support covering the financing, construction and management of a hospitality project in the FCT- Abuja
Papers and Presentations
- Centre for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) Corporate Compliance Trends, Q&A with Laura Alakija: Compliance for Mid-Sized Businesses in Nigeria, March 2016.
- L. Alakija: “Regulatory Framework for Tourism in Nigeria: How Can This be Made Easier for Investors ?” A paper presented at the Nigerian Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference October 2015, Lagos, Nigeria.
- Israel Aye, Laura Alakija, Chigozie Anyanwu and Constance Udensi, “Nigeria Chapter, The Oil and Gas Law Review ”, Second Edition, 2014.
- Israel Aye, Laura Alakija, Chigozie Anyanwu and Constance Udensi, “Nigeria Chapter, The Oil and Gas Law Review ”, Third Editions, 2015.
- “Online Legal Research and Electronic Document Management ” : a lecture presented at the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (NIALS) during the NBA Section on Legal Practice' Seminar for Young Lawyers - June 2013
- “The Internet as a Research Tool: use of Search Engines, Web Directories, Online Journals and Digital Law Libraries ” : lecture presented at the 2009 National Workshop for Judicial Librarians organized by the National Judicial Institute – November 2009
Qualifications / Membership
- LLM - Transnational Oil, Gas and Energy Law, University of Derby
- Solicitor - Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria
- Member - Nigeria Bar Association
- Member – International Bar Association
- Member - Association of Professional Negotiators and Mediators