Michael Smith has over two decades of experience in corporate/commercial practice with particular specialties in banking/finance and companies securities. Prior to joining Sterling Partnership, Michael was Partner at Lawcity Partners (2001 – 2006) and Senior Associate (1993 – 2000) J.B Majiyagbe SAN & Co. He has been Head, Marketing and Corporate Affairs for Stanbic IBTC bank. He later moved on to the United Bank for Africa Plc. as Divisional Head Corporate Affairs and MD/CEO of the UBA Foundation.
Michael provides solutions to clients on issues including division of business interests, mixed-use commercial property, residential, real property and securities investments. His corporate law experience also covers assisting foreign companies in negotiating with companies in Nigeria, in matters of due diligence and drafting various types of agreements. He provides overseas investors, comprehensive advice in connection with the regulatory framework governing their investment into Nigeria.
- Team Lead Nigeria: foreign finder agreement between Chrysalis Capital Group, LLC and Woodmont Paseo LLC in respect of a $16, 000, 000 debt financing, attracting investors including venture-capital firms, funds and angel-investors. Chrysalis, a Delaware limited liability company, is registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and a member of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and authorized to engage in investment banking activities under U.S. laws;
- Team Member: successful merger between IBTC Chartered Bank Plc and Stanbic Bank Nigeria Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited (SAHL), SAHL, a subsidiary of Standard Bank Group. The transaction was the first ever tender offer in Nigeria’s banking and financial history, bringing to the market the first non-regulated merger and the first merger between an international bank and a Nigerian bank. Standard Bank retained 50.1% in the enlarged entity with total capital investment of USD $ 525 million.
- Team Lead – Project management and transaction support for Bayelsa State Investment and Economic Forum (BSIEF) 2014 including structuring the project, selection of investors, managing the interface with relevant bodies of government especially with regard to execution of MoUs, investment and trade agreements.
Qualifications / Membership
- B.L Nigeria Law School, 1993
- LL.B (Hons) University of Jos
- Solicitor – Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria
- Member – International Bar Association
- Member – Nigeria Bar Association